Table of Contents
Welcome to the thrilling realm of Zwift routes! Zwift has captured the hearts of cyclists worldwide, from seasoned pros to enthusiastic beginners. While Watopia will always hold a special place in our hearts as the original and beloved virtual world, the other Zwift worlds each bring their unique charm and challenges to the table, making the platform an irresistible choice for indoor cycling enthusiasts.
In this all-encompassing guide, we'll not only journey through the top Zwift routes but also dive deep into the distinct worlds, share valuable tips for selecting the ideal route, and discuss the sought-after route badges. So, fasten your helmet, and let's embark on an unforgettable ride!
Top 5 Zwift Routes
With dozens of routes to choose from, it can be challenging to decide which one to ride. To help you get started, here are our top 5 Zwift routes you don't want to miss:
- Watopia's Waistband - A flat and fast 15.5 km loop, perfect for beginners and sprinters alike.
- London's Greater London Loop - A 21 km route that combines iconic city landmarks with the stunning Surrey countryside.
- Richmond's UCI Worlds Course - A challenging 16.2 km route that replicates the 2015 UCI Road World Championships course.
- New York's Park Perimeter Loop - A scenic 9.7 km ride around Central Park, featuring rolling hills and beautiful views.
- France's La Reine - A grueling 22.9 km climb up Mont Ventoux, a must for those seeking a true test of endurance.
Zwift offers multiple virtual worlds to choose from, each with its own unique landscape, courses, and challenges. Here's a quick overview of each world:
- Watopia - The original and most extensive Zwift world, Watopia features everything from rolling hills to steep mountains, jungles, and even underwater tunnels. With over 20 routes available, there's something for everyone in this virtual paradise.
- London - Ride through the bustling streets of London and experience iconic landmarks like Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge, and the London Eye. The London world also includes the picturesque Surrey countryside, providing a nice balance of urban and rural environments.
- Richmond - Based on the 2015 UCI Road World Championships course, Richmond offers a challenging and authentic road cycling experience. This world is perfect for those who want to test their mettle on a championship-level course.
- New York - The New York world offers a futuristic twist on the iconic Central Park. Featuring elevated roads, glass-surfaced paths, and stunning views of the city skyline, it's a truly unique cycling experience.
- France - Inspired by the picturesque French countryside, the France world offers a variety of challenging climbs, including the legendary Mont Ventoux. Perfect for those looking to tackle epic ascents in a beautiful setting.
- Innsbruck - Based on the 2018 UCI Road World Championships course, Innsbruck combines the beauty of the Austrian Alps with the charm of a historic city. Riders can enjoy challenging climbs and stunning alpine views.
- Makuri Islands: is a mesmerizing addition to the Zwift universe, offering a perfect blend of Japanese-inspired scenery and enchanting landscapes. This captivating route transports riders through a world filled with cherry blossoms, traditional architecture, and verdant countryside. As you navigate the winding roads and rolling hills, you'll be treated to a rich cultural experience that's both exhilarating and serene. Makuri Islands is an excellent choice for riders seeking a fresh, immersive experience that's sure to captivate their senses and elevate their indoor cycling adventures.
Route Selection Tips
With so many routes to choose from, selecting the perfect one can be a daunting task. Here are some tips to help you choose the right Zwift route for your needs:
- Consider your goals - Are you looking for a leisurely ride or a challenging workout? Different routes cater to different goals, so consider your objectives before selecting a route.
- Check the elevation profile - If you prefer flat routes or want to focus on climbing, pay close attention to the route's elevation profile. This will give you a better idea of what to expect during your ride.
- Factor in distance and time - Choose a route that matches the amount of time you have available to ride. Shorter routes are perfect for a quick workout, while longer routes can provide a more immersive experience.
- Try something new - Don't be afraid to explore new routes and worlds! Variety is the spice of life, and trying new routes can keep your Zwift experience fresh and exciting.
One of the most fun aspects of Zwift is the ability to collect route badges. Each time you complete a route, you'll earn a badge for your virtual trophy case. Collecting route badges is a great way to stay motivated and challenge yourself to explore new routes and worlds.
To view your route badges, simply navigate to the Zwift Companion App or the in-game menu. From there, you can see which badges you've earned and which routes you still need to conquer. As you accumulate badges, you'll also earn Experience Points (XP), which help you level up and unlock new in-game items like bikes and jerseys.
Some riders even set personal goals to collect all the route badges, turning their Zwift experience into a fun and rewarding challenge. So, why not give it a try? Set a goal for yourself and start ticking off those badges one by one!
Zwift Route Selection and Impact on Workout
While choosing a Zwift route can add an element of fun and variety to your indoor cycling sessions, when it comes to structured workouts using ERG mode, the route selection becomes less crucial in terms of difficulty. ERG mode automatically adjusts the resistance on your smart trainer to match the prescribed watts for each interval, ensuring you hit your targets regardless of the virtual terrain. This means that whether you're cruising on a flat course or tackling a steep climb, the challenge remains consistent with your workout plan. So, feel free to select any route that piques your interest, knowing that ERG mode will take care of the intensity, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in the virtual experience.
Zwift routes offer an incredible array of virtual cycling experiences, catering to riders of all skill levels and preferences. With stunning visuals, engaging challenges, and a vibrant community of fellow riders, it's no wonder Zwift has become the go-to platform for indoor cycling enthusiasts worldwide.
We hope this guide has provided you with valuable insights into the world of Zwift routes and inspired you to hop on your bike and start exploring. Whether you're tackling epic climbs in France, cruising through the streets of London, or taking on the rolling hills of Watopia, the possibilities are endless. So, get ready to clip in, power up, and experience the thrill of virtual cycling with Zwift!